About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Oversaid but not dead: Don't worry, be happy

In 1988, Bobby McFerrin sang this song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" that sort of became an anthem and he won many many awards for it including Grammy's for Album of the Year and Song of the Year.

In 1992 whispers started that he had killed himself. That he could not heed his own advice in his song.

This rumours I remember spread all the way to Malaysia as well though be it a little later. In 1993, when I was a journalist, I heard this news as well that he had shot himself.

This was a time when Internet was not present, so it was not that easy to verify this news. I called various people in the international news agencies but to no avail.

I remember I finally managed to get a hold of his record studios and then to his manager and found out that he was alive and well and that he was surprised that the rumour had spread so far all the way to Malaysia.

In this days and age, news spreads like fire due to the Internet and print media like the newspapers are long considered old news. Even some news in television is considered old.

He is alive and well. Is that Robin Williams in the video?

Well, don't worry, be happy.



Take care and be well.

No comments: