About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Once upon a time, a long long time ago . . .

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, I was a reporter in the mainstream media and ...

I had found out through my investigative journalism that many condominium projects are on unsafe and unstable slopes but were still approved.

I found out that Highland Tower's collapsed not due to weakness of it's own foundation but because an underground river was diverted due to a planned luxurious bungalow development plans on the slopes.

I found out that a certain unionist was actually named Adolf Hitler.

I found out that a certain minister who may well be our prime minister in the future was sleeping with an actress/singer.

I found out that another chief minister was sleeping around with young girls.

I found out that certain person did this or a certain person did that.

I found out that most of our politicians do drink.

I found out that most of my bosses were afraid to publish anything real and were happy to publish the bullshit because they feared another ban.

I found out many things, but were my sources lying, were they telling the truth, was there really this much corruption in the government, is there really a fourth floor, is some opposition politician really gay, is the royalty really immune, does anyone really care? I don't care and even if I did, could not do much about it then.

Now, I see a whole bunch of political blogger's writing about this and that and I wonder if they have the right information, are their sources telling the truth, what benefit is there to writing these sort of news? Many questions that I think back and then I realize that I just need to stop thinking or caring for all these.

I left journalism because I was so disillusioned.

After that, I actually literally became a coolie ... unloading containers of carpets and doing a brainless job that required no thinking, worrying or caring.

I remembered in US, I had thought being a dishwasher was fun because it required no thinking and I could calm my mind, my brains and my thoughts.

I became a coolie to do the same things. Unfortunately, the work was literally back breaking and I developed back problems which I suffer till today.

But I have no regrets leaving journalism in Malaysia because we do not have journalism in Malaysia, we only have reporters.

I have fond memories as a reporter but I will never go back to it, not in Malaysia and not anywhere else in the world.

I am happy where I have been and I am happy where I am and happy where I am going.

Take care and be well.

No comments: