About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Measure of a Man

There are three books with exactly the same title, and all three seem interesting.

Why am I looking at books with this title?

Well, I went about looking for a book that was written by Sidney Poitier because wifey suggested it. She said she saw the interview on Oprah and wanted to get the book for me as well as read it herself because of what Sidney has gone through in his life.

However, my search for the book on Amazon ended up with 3 books and all 3 that I would like to read.

Oh boy, when will I ever stop buying books. The thing with me and books is that I like reading and have a lot of books and I truly hate lending out my books because I never get them back.

I have often thought what would happen to all my books once I am no longer in the world. Maybe I should set up a library - but people can come and read the books, just never take them out - because even in my death, I will never get these books back.

Anyways, as I mentioned, there are at least 3 "The Measure of a Man" that I would like to read.

The first is by Gene Getz. In this book, Getz delivers the newly enhanced message of what it takes to be a man of God. Men will gain encouragement for what they can be in Christ-as fathers, husbands, and mentors to other men. Since 1974, The Measure of a Man has taught hundreds of thousands of men around the world how to live according to God's direction-faithfully, lovingly and spiritually. True masculinity is not measured by a man's strength, but by these 20 biblical guidelines. With life applications and words of inspiration, here is Gene's greatest work-fully rewritten and updated to reach the new generation of modern men.

I have never heard of this author or book but as I am now looking more into my spirituality, this would be a good book to read.

The second book is by Martin Luther King Jr. is an eloquent and passionate, reasoned and sensitive, pair of meditations by the revered civil-rights leader contains the theological roots of his political and social philosophy of nonviolent activism. Martin Luther King Jr. was President of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and co-pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta, Georgia. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964.

He wrote many famous speeches namely "I have a Dream" and "Let Freedom Ring" and was the main guy during the civil rights movement. I have read various books by Martin Luther King Jr and would love to read this book as well.

The third book which I am definitely getting and was looking for in the first place is by Sidney Poitier. In his second memoir Poitier talks about his childhood in the Caribbean, where he was terribly poor by American standards, but quite happy, swimming and climbing all he could. One of eight kids, Poitier was sent to live with an older brother in Miami when he started to get into difficulties as a teen. But frustrated by his inability to earn a living and by the disparaging way whites treated him, Poitier left Miami for New York. There he worked as a dishwasher, started a drama class and launched a celebrated acting career that led to starring roles in such classics as To Sir, with Love and Raisin in the Sun.

Sidney Poitier and I have something in common - we both worked as dishwasher's sometime in our lives. Also, he is the first black actor to win an Oscar for best actor. I have always admired him as a person and as a man and as an actor.

I always enjoy reading biographies and especially autobiographies. What a better way to learn then to learn from others.

Anyway, a bunch of books will be making their way from whichever warehouse from Amazon to my address and I will have a bunch of things to read while chillin' down with some nice music and a bottle of wine.

Take care and be well.

No comments: