About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Over scrambled eggs, rye bread and cha

I made late breakfast today and my love and I sat down and had scrambled eggs, rye bread and cha or chai or Indian masala tea. Simple food, simple life and breakfast overlooking the calm morning sea and the cool sea breeze.

My wife said that I should write the recipe for the eggs and cha I made, so, I decided to write it down here instead. Recipe for eggs below will make enough eggs for 2 people or 1 hungry person.

Scrambled Eggs Ala Nils

3-4 spring onions
0.5 red onion
1 large garlic clove
1 medium chilli padi
3 inches of carrot
0.25 yellow capsicum
3 inches of leek (only green part)

Finely chop all of the above ingredients

6-8 egg whites
2 tablespoons milk
A pinch of salt
A pinch of parsley
A pinch of chili flakes

1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon grape seed oil

Heat oil in pan and put in the spring onions, red onions, garlic and chilli padi and let it fry until the aroma comes out and browned a little.

Add the carrots, capsicum and leek and fry for about 30 seconds to a minute.

Add the eggs whites, the milk and use a spatula to mix the mixture and scramble the eggs with the mixture.

Top off the eggs with salt, chili flakes and parsley and mix in pan again.

And serve.

As for the tea, some trades passed down form my mom to me and some from my observations. More spices can be added but below is what I would drink on a daily basis. I will make suggestions of other spices that can be added to make the masala more flavourful. Below recipe will make 2 cups of tea.

Gujerati Cha

6-7 medium sized cardamoms crushed using a mortar and pestle.
2-3 pieces of saffron

Boil the above in 1.5 cups of water.

Add 2-3 teaspoons of sugar (more or less depending on your sweet needs)

Let the water boil.

Add 2 tablespoons of black tea leaves (preferable would be Hi Top tea. If not available, Boh or any strong black tea is acceptable.)

Let it simmer for a while.

Add 1 cup of milk.

Let the mixture boil up for 3-4 times or longer.

Sieve into a cup and serve.

For added spices, add a small piece of cinnamon; add 1 clove; add nutmeg; add 1-2 black pepper; add some dried ginger. All of the ingredients above can be added together with the main ingredient above in the 1st step. For best result, use a mortar and pestle to powder or grind the ingredients to get the fresh flavour out.

Over breakfast we shared our joy, we laughed, we talked about news, we talked about various activities that we have to do over the Gawai break, we talked about personal finances, we talked about my wife's birthday that is coming up, we talked about my dad, we talked about my in-laws, we talked about the sea, the breeze, the birds chirping and we had spring scrambled eggs with rye bread and Gujerati cha.

A simple morning, a nice morning, a quiet morning, a lovely morning, a serene morning.

Next stop, Miri Jazz Festival tonight.

Take care and be well.

No comments: