About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Jobs gone past - Job 4: Career Counselor

Ok, technically this was not a job as it was purely voluntary and part of a course assignment.

But nevertheless, for one year or so, I was a career counsellor ... sort of.

Basically, we had a computer based system that students would take. The computer program would then extrapolate possible career opportunities based on the students interests and academic abilities.

Based on the results, I would then go through with the students the results and see if this is within their interest or was there something missing.

We would advise them what courses and what areas of studies they should go into if they were interested in a particular area of work.

After all this discussion, we would ask them if they wanted to see an academic advisor or even a counsellor.

I did this for about 1 year, about 10-15 hours a week. Truly enjoyed it and made some really good friends.

In all honesty, I have not ended up in a career that the computer program predicted those many years ago.

Partially and mainly because those many years ago, my interests lied in becoming a practicing psychologists with a PhD but life sometimes leads you to different paths. Paths that I have not regretted although some which were not expected or even not really great.

But ces't la vie ... life is as such.

Take care and be well.

No comments: