About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sunburned while asleep


Facing the wide Pacific Ocean and facing east can be hazardous to your health as you can get sunburned while you are sleeping.

Last night we had quite a bit of fun and went to sleep close to half past one in the morning after a nice dinner and late night cap in the bar in the hotel.

Of course, being on the twelfth floor, we kept the curtains open so that the sunrise will wake us up. The thing is, the sun rises slightly before 6. The time we wanted to get up was around 7:30.

By 7:30, the sun is well up in the sky shinning brightly through the large balcony doors of the room and magnifying the heat through the door and pricking the skin.

I never would have imagined that we could get sunburned in the winter but the sun in the Gold Coast is relentless and bright and pricking, no different from the sun in Malaysia ... after all, it is the same sun.

The QT Hotel is quite a nice chic hotel that was recently re-opened after renovations and therefore we got it for quite a decent price. Breakfast at the Bazaar has been wonderful and so far, the Aussie mates have been quite a friendly bunch.

As usual, the "born again" ones are the extreme ones. I remember when I went to USA, so of my fellow Malaysians picked up and were trying very hard to be Americanised and spoke the American slang withing 2 to 3 days of being in the country.

Anyways, today has been a relatively quite day or driving around to outside of Surfer's Paradise to other suburbs of Gold Coast where the locals seem to hang out.

There is some gems of places out there but still, I am not convinced that Gold Coast is better than Sunshine Coast.

Of course, to each their own. Some people like the glitter of the God Coast and the tackiness of the Surfers Paradise and the 4 major theme parks and many many activities to do 24x7 but I guess I am not that someone anymore.

I enjoy the relaxation and the quietness sometimes to take away from the hustle and bustle of Koala Lumpur.

I like places where people greet you and smile.

Oh well, the time to bid farewell to Gold Coast comes tomorrow and time to say hello to Southbank, Brisbane.

A few days n Southbank and then fly back home .. hopefully all cleaned up by Bersih.

I unfortunately forgot to bring any of my company safety day tee shirts which are usually the same yellow colour as bersih. I guess my company and a few others may just have to issue tee shirts in different colours now.

It is now nearly 5pm and the skies are already getting dark, so another day over and another night has began in this journey.

There have been good times and bad times, but these memories remain of a new place, new friends, new experiences to continue this journey called Life.

Sometimes, it is good not to face the sun as you may become blind to what is ahead of you but it is not necessary good to also be against the sun as it can just burn and prick you in the back. So, walk if you must, but do close the curtains sometimes or carry an umbrella which can be useful for both a sunny day as well as a rainy day.

Come join me in my journey, under my umbrella, you will be protected.

Take care and be well.

No comments: