About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Miracle Son

God made mothers wonderful
God made mothers who never grow old
He made her smile of the sunshine,
And He molded her heart of pure gold;
In her eyes He placed bright shining stars,
In her cheeks fair roses you see;
God made mothers wonderful,
And He gave all those dear mothers to us.

A good friend of mine sent me a miracle story of hers recently.

My friend, who is this most wonderful mother, had had three miscarriages. It is already dreadful and sad to go through one miscarriage, but she did not give up trying to have children.

But after one miscarriage, two miscarriages and three miscarriages, many of us would give up. Not her.

After three miscarriages, she was pregnant again. She was based in Jakarta, Indonesia at that time and this was nearly twenty years ago.

During her pregnancy, she went to Singapore for a "routine" amnio. There is actually nothing routine about amnio.

Amnio or Amniocentesis (also referred to as amniotic fluid test or AFT), is a medical procedure used in prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities and fetal infections, in which a small amount of amniotic fluid, which contains fetal tissues, is extracted from the amnion or amniotic sac surrounding a developing fetus, and the fetal DNA is examined for genetic abnormalities.

During this routine procedure, she felt pain and was very concerned and worried. Anyone would be, what more someone who has already had previous miscarriages.

Immediately after the procedure, she did not feel right. Something was not right, something just not quite in place. And as she stood up, all her fears came into fruitation.

After the procedure, when she stood up, her water broke. She was 14 weeks pregnant. Immediately she had to call a taxi in Singapore to take her to the National University Hospital.

At 14 weeks pregnant, the doctors told her to prepare for yet another a miscarriage. Of course, her heart nearly broke into a thousand glass crystal pieces.

But she did not give up. She took all the advice the doctors informed her to do, bed rest for weeks.

After weeks, a scan revealed the baby's kidneys were formed and the amniotic fluid looked like it was building up.

The doctors said that despite the good signs, it was likely that she would have a very early delivery if she managed to carry the baby to full term. The original due date was April 1st and early delivery could mean 4-6 weeks earlier.

But Marco did not want to come out to early and neither did he want to come out on April Fool's day, he was no fool you see. On April 4, about 19 years ago, he was born in Singapore.

Doctors were amazed as were the parents of course. It was a miracle.

My friend's email to me said, "My son Marco is a miracle."

I agree, miracle alright.

But you know what T, you are a miracle.

You stuck on and despite three miscarriages, you never gave up. And now you are a proud mama of three grown children whom I am sure are proud of you.

So, I dedicated this wonderful song to you. You're a wonderful mother.



Mama thank you for who I am, thank you for all the things I'm not
Forgive me for the words unsaid for the times I forgot
Mama remember all my life you showed me love, you sacrificed
Think of those young and early days how I've changed along the way
And I know you believed and I know you had dreams
And I'm sorry it took all this time to see
That I am where I am because of your truth
And I miss you, yeah I miss you
Mama forgive the times you cried, forgive me for not making right
All of the storms I may have caused and I've been wrong dry your eyes
Dry your eyes
'Cause I know you believed and I know you had dreams
And I'm sorry it took all this time to see
That I am where I am because of your truth
And I miss you, I miss you
Mama I hope this makes you smile, I hope you're happy with my life
At peace with every choice I made how I've changed along the way
'Cause I know you believed in all of my dreams
And I owe it all to you , mama

Take care and be well.

1 comment:

LLM Calling said...

As a mother of a very similar miracle child, through losses I grieve every day - can I just say thanks for posting and raising awareness.
emma, new follower
http://llmcalling.blogspot.com