About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Jack and Jill went up the hill

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.
Up Jack got, and home did trot,
As fast as he could caper,
To old Dame Dob, who patched his nob
With vinegar and brown paper.

I will start with a miracle of a friend of mine, my mentor at a time. Names in this story have been changed but I found it appropriate to use the nursery rhyme above to start of this story.

Jack was a project manager that I know. He worked for one of those large multinationals and is based in Australia.

I was working in the same company to implement their procurement module and doing project management job.

We met many times during his trip to Kuala Lumpur and we soon became friends.

Jack and his family love to go hiking up the mountains and hills. Hiking was one of his favorite activities.

In the summer months of December, he and his family went off to New Zealand to go hiking around Mt Cook in South Island.

It was a fun family activity, being part of nature.

Then we all heard the dreaded news, Jack fell off from a ledge and dropped 100 feet. He broke his skull, his legs, his back, his limbs, his ribs and was in a coma.

It was clearly an accident and injury that no vinegar and brown paper would cure.

His chances of survival were very low. And the longer he remained in coma, the more difficult things became.

However, Jack is a fighter if I ever knew one. He came out of coma in 2 weeks or so and then was on his road to recovery.

It took him months and months, in fact nearly a year to recover.

When I went to Australia in late February for an interview, I had a chance to visit him and actually did so twice.

The first time, I visited him in this rehabilitation hospital and spend about an hour with him.

After that, I spent a few hours at his house and went out for lunch with him and his wife. We had nice Italian food at a wonderful restaurant near his house, we went to a bookshop.

At this time, Jack was still on a wheelchair and his motor skills were not 100%, maybe 30% at the most. But it was wonderful to see him and he was alive.

About a year and half later, we met Jack when he came to KL. As he says, he will only be max 95% which is wonderful.

But in all honesty, I think he is more than 100%.

Reason being, he is alive, it is a miracle he is back and he has become a changed person. He is positive, he fun, he is happier and he does not take anything or anyone for granted. As such, he is more than 100%.

Thank God for the grace and miracle bestowed upon Jack.

I will be writing about miracles, soon about some of my own and soon about some of yours, those who have sent me emails. Do keep them coming, send your miracle stories to nilsmusings@gmail.com.

Take care and be well.

No comments: