About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Monday, January 24, 2011

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down


Once upon a time there were three little pigs and the time came for them to leave home and seek their fortunes.
Before they left, their mother told them "Whatever you do , do it the best that you can because that's the way to get along in the world."
The first little pig built his house out of straw because it was the easiest thing to do.
The second little pig built his house out of sticks. This was a little bit stronger than a straw house.
The third little pig built his house out of bricks.
One night the big bad wolf, who dearly loved to eat fat little piggies, came along and saw the first little pig in his house of straw. He said "Let me in, Let me in, little pig or I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down!"
"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin", said the little pig.
But of course the wolf did blow the house in and ate the first little pig.
The wolf then came to the house of sticks.
"Let me in ,Let me in little pig or I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down"
"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin", said the little pig. But the wolf blew that house in too, and ate the second little pig.
The wolf then came to the house of bricks.
"Let me in , let me in" cried the wolf.
"Or I'll huff and I'll puff till I blow your house down"
"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin" said the third lil pig.
Well, the wolf huffed and puffed but he could not blow down that brick house down.
But the wolf was a sly old wolf and he climbed up on the roof to look for a way into the brick house.
The little pig saw the wolf climb up on the roof and lit a roaring fire in the fireplace and placed on it a large kettle of water.
When the wolf finally found the hole in the chimney he crawled down and KERSPLASH right into that kettle of water and that was the end of his troubles with the big bad wolf.
The next day the little pig invited his mother over . She said "You see it is just as I told you. The way to get along in the world is to do things as well as you can."
Fortunately for that little pig, he learned that lesson. And he just lived happily ever after!

Anyone heard the story above before? I am sure most of you have. Simple lesson, simple story ... the way to get along in the world is to do things as well as you can.

And yet many of us still build stray and stick houses or sandcastles. We work non-stop, ever so busy with an overbooked schedule and in the end it leaves no legacy and will be blown away by a huff and a puff or a tide that washes away the sandcastles built.

As I begin on this final section of my journey, so appropriately after the miracle of God yesterday, the focus will be on leaving boldly. It is important to understand what it means to leave boldly and leave a lasting legacy before it is too late.

The best way to create a lasting legacy and maybe the only way is to pour your most valuable resources into investments with the greatest returns. This are not financial resources nor financial returns. I am talking about time - your most valuable resource and invest it into people.

How many of us are truly building a brick house, a solid foundation to leaving a lasting legacy so that you can leave boldly? We need to look beyond our homes and investment portfolios. We need to do an on-site inspection of our current lives. We must ensure our foundation is built with concrete rather than sand or straw or sticks.

Rather than writing our name in sand, live with the name of God and only what we do for God, how we fulfill the purpose for which He made us will remain.

Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.

Next is having sand dollars. There is nothing wrong with having resources and wealth as long as we realize that all material things are also just like sandcastles or straw houses. We should enjoy the material things we have but never get too attached to them.

The only way to pass the affluence is by giving, we must learn how to be givers rather than takers so we can make all the difference. If we earn and earn and do not give to others, all we will have are sand dollars and straw dollars. You can say all the chinny chin chin you want but it will be blown away.

And last of all is the obedience exam. As the mother pig said, do things as well as you can.

"Be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do," Ephesians 5.

Obey God because He gives you enough time to do everything you need to do, you have to spend time with Him, listen to Him and then obey Him.

When you use your influence and affluence to obey God, He will enable you to leave behind a permanent inheritance.

I am today grateful to God to have this life and I want to leave boldly. Today is my first step.

Take care and be well.

No comments: