About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do you need directions? Are you following your GPS?

Krishna showing Arjuna the way in Bhagawad Gita
In the Bhagawad Gita, in a very clear and wonderful way, Krishna describes the science of self-realization and the exact process by which a human being can establish their eternal relationship with God. The Gita is pretty much a conversation with Krishna and Arjun. It is part of the larger epic Mahabharata.

The Bhagavad Gita begins before the start of the climactic battle at Kurukshetra, with the Pandava prince Arjuna becoming filled with doubt on the battlefield. Realizing that his enemies are his own relatives, beloved friends, and revered teachers, he turns to his charioteer and guide, Krishna, for advice.

On their return from banishment the Pandavas demanded the return of their legitimate kingdom. Duryodhana, who had consolidated his power by many alliances, refused to restore their legal and moral rights. Attempts by elders and Krishna, who was a friend of the Pandavas and also a well wisher of the Kauravas, to resolve the issue failed. Nothing would satisfy Duryodhana's inordinate greed.

When war became inevitable. Both Duryodhana and Arjuna requested Krishna to support them in the war, since he possessed the strongest army, and was revered as the wisest teacher and the greatest yogi. Krishna offered to give his vast army to one of them and to become a charioteer and counselor for the other, but he would not touch any weapon nor participate in the battle in any manner.While Duryodhana chose Krishna's vast army, Arjuna preferred to have Krishna as his charioteer.

Krishna counsels Arjuna on the greater idea of dharma, or universal harmony and duty. He begins with the tenet that the soul (Atman) is eternal and immortal.

I am generally good with directions and in Klang Valley and pretty much most of Malaysia, I do not need a GPS. But when I was in Europe, I bought myself a nice Garmin that did marvelously at guiding me to the right direction. Sometimes signals will be lost or certain roads are closed and the automated voice and the GPS will recalculate and lead you to the right way.

Arjuna had Krishna as his GPS, to guide him the right way.

In life we need a clear signal from God so we can discover our position and place in the world. Until we discover our place, our niche, our purpose in life, we will always feel lost even when we are in a familiar place. It is okay to be lost or loose direction every now and then, but we must discover back, recalculate back our purpose.

What is my purpose? I have activated the GPS that God has installed in me and to go through the many circumstances, choices and forks in the road in my life, I have started and will continue to use three crucial resources from God.

Start using our GPS: Our Gifts, our Passions and our Struggles.

We are lavished with a galaxy of gifts. Some are natural talent one is born with, some are spiritual gifts when you commit your live to loving.

We are all experts at something and nobody excels at everything. Be honest with yourself about what you do well and how effectively you use that gift. How often you exercise your gifts often depends on what your passions are.

When we do things we are passionate about, we do things enthusiastically. Enthusiasm and passion come from God within us.

God has given us gifts because he wants us to use them, not for any other purpose. When you pursue the passions He has placed in your heart, He simply loves it. God finds so much joy in your living out your gifts and being who He created you to be. We will feel both fulfilled and sense God's pleasure as well when we live our passions.

Struggles are as important as gifts and passions, it completes our GPS, God positioning system. Because of struggles, problems and difficulties, we depend on God for guidance and love. We learn our limits and are reminded to look for Him when we are stuck.

If never had struggles or problems, we would never depend on God and we will miss out in understanding His love and His power in our lives.

In my journey today, I have written five different gifts that I possess and I plan to ask three close family members and friends to list five gifts they see in me. I am sure it will be a surprise to see similarities and differences.

I have also thought about how passionate I am about my current job and career field and I am making a list of obstacles preventing me from doing what I am more passionate about. I will share with my guardian and God my obstacles and in prayer ask for them to be removed.

I will also share my struggles I have faced in life with someone this week as a means of encouraging and motivating that person.

Today, as I start to use my GPS, I end my blog with words from my favorite children's books author, Dr Seuss.

Today you are You, that is truer than true.
There is no one alive who is Youer than You.
Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Take care and be well.

1 comment:

prem singh said...

nice blog you have. and your content also.. this post is really nice..

please visit my blog for hacking tricks and security..

http://cybertechguru.blogspot.com/