About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tranquility, just an hour away



After years and years of living amongst the concrete jungle where walls are shared with pariah neighbours, I sometimes find more tranquility in simplicity.

Yes, a terrace house, no matter how expensive or wonderful it is has it's issues and expenses.

Worse of the issues are definitely neighbours who are pariahs and a disease and menace to the society.

But apart from that, the never ending expenses of maintaining a house. Prior to this, I used to live in a flat. Yes a flat, not an apartment or a condominium, a flat.

In a terrace house, you share your 2 side walls with neighbours.

In a flat, you share 2 walls, the floor and a ceiling - oh and the issues that arise from that are endless.

Currently, I am very happy with the home I live in because the interior is done very well by my personal designer (wifey) and the garden is nicely landscaped by my personal gardener (dad).

We are also among the few lucky ones in my housing estate to have a garden behind our house which is about 880 square feet and the house which is about 1600 square feet.

Of course like anyone with dreams and wishes, I do hope to own a nice bungalow one day, maybe even with a swimming pool. Maybe something like the image below.

Where there is a nice long driveway and the house is not visible from the road.



However, when I want to escape from the hustle and bustle of this concrete jungle, all I have to do is drive to this :



Yes, a simple hut built by a friend of mine on his land for me and wifey to enjoy, relax, take our mind off the concrete and look at the stars while listening to the sounds of the jungle and the rustling of the leaves while enjoying a nice simple meal, eating jungle fruits and drinking home-brew.

It can be warm, but this is the true idea of hill-slope development. The breeze from the Fraser's hill swoops down the side of the mountain bringing a nice natural coolness in the evenings.

The mosquitoes stay away very simply, smoke from the cooking stove which is using fire wood.

There is finally water and electricity and the main house (my friend's house) even has Astro.

They do not have a proper toilet which can be difficult for quite a number of people but it is something which would be an addition soon enough.

We have big plans, but there will be time for these plans to fruit.

Until then, the hut above will be my home away from home, on those weekends or holidays where I want to get away from it all and just chill.

Take care and be well.