About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Song Offerings গীতাঞ্জলি

The following poems or songs have been taken from Nobel Prize winning poet Rabindranath Tagore's Gitanjali গীতাঞ্জলি which translates to song offerings or offerings of songs and are all Bengali devotional songs.

I have chosen a few of the songs from Gitanjali which I find meaningful to me at this moment.

The first below is titled Light.
Light, my light, the world-filling light,
the eye-kissing light,
heart-sweetening light!
Ah, the light dances, my darling, at the center of my life;
the light strikes, my darling, the chords of my love;
the sky opens, the wind runs wild, laughter passes over the earth.
The butterflies spread their sails on the sea of light.
Lilies and jasmines surge up on the crest of the waves of light.
The light is shattered into gold on every cloud, my darling,
and it scatters gems in profusion.
Mirth spreads from leaf to leaf, my darling,
and gladness without measure.
The heaven's river has drowned its banks
and the flood of joy is abroad.

I am in a quest. Many a times, in meditation, in prayer, in thoughts, I have been bathed in the light, multi colored lights all combining to a perfect whiteness.

Mind Without Fear
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up
into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason
has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action---
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

While on my quest, fear is something I have forgotten about. I travel through this journey with a mind without fear but with an open still mind.

Deliverance?
Where is this deliverance to be found?
Our master himself has joyfully taken upon him the bonds of creation;
he is bound with us all for ever.
Come out of thy meditations and leave aside thy flowers and incense!
What harm is there if thy clothes become tattered and stained?
Meet him and stand by him in toil and in sweat of thy brow.

Sometimes, in our sweat and in our tears, a guardian will come to us to guide.

When Day Is Done
If the day is done,
if birds sing no more,
if the wind has flagged tired,
then draw the veil of darkness thick upon me,
even as thou hast wrapped the earth with the coverlet of sleep
and tenderly closed the petals of the drooping lotus at dusk.
From the traveler,
whose sack of provisions is empty before the voyage is ended,
whose garment is torn and dust-laden,
whose strength is exhausted,
remove shame and poverty,
and renew his life like a flower under the cover of thy kindly night.

Everyday, I pray when I go to sleep to renew my life in the night, to forgive me for any bad I have done, to open me to do good things in my life.

Lamp of Love
Light, oh where is the light?
Kindle it with the burning fire of desire!
There is the lamp but never a flicker of a flame---is such thy fate, my heart?
Ah, death were better by far for thee!
Misery knocks at thy door,
and her message is that thy lord is wakeful,
and he calls thee to the love-tryst through the darkness of night.
The sky is overcast with clouds and the rain is ceaseless.
I know not what this is that stirs in me---I know not its meaning.
A moment's flash of lightning drags down a deeper gloom on my sight,
and my heart gropes for the path to where the music of the night calls me.
Light, oh where is the light!
Kindle it with the burning fire of desire!
It thunders and the wind rushes screaming through the void.
The night is black as a black stone.
Let not the hours pass by in the dark.
Kindle the lamp of love with thy life.

When I put on a candle or a ghee lamp at night, it flickers, the shadows and the lamp of love kindles and I feel loved, I feel relieve, I feel stillness, I feel that everything will be alright.

Give Me Strength
This is my prayer to thee, my lord---strike,
strike at the root of penury in my heart.
Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows.
Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.
Give me the strength never to disown the poor

or bend my knees before insolent might.
Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles.
And give me the strength to surrender my strength to thy will with love.


Daily, I ask for strength. Strength to bear this life, strength to find a way, strength to do good, strength.

The Journey
The morning sea of silence broke into ripples of bird songs;
and the flowers were all merry by the roadside;
and the wealth of gold was scattered through the rift of the clouds
while we busily went on our way and paid no heed.

We sang no glad songs nor played;
we went not to the village for barter;
we spoke not a word nor smiled;
we lingered not on the way.
We quickened our pace more and more as the time sped by.
The sun rose to the mid sky and doves cooed in the shade.
Withered leaves danced and whirled in the hot air of noon.
The shepherd boy drowsed and dreamed in the shadow of the banyan tree,
and I laid myself down by the water
and stretched my tired limbs on the grass.
My companions laughed at me in scorn;
they held their heads high and hurried on;
they never looked back nor rested;
they vanished in the distant blue haze.
They crossed many meadows and hills,
and passed through strange, far-away countries.
All honor to you, heroic host of the interminable path!
Mockery and reproach pricked me to rise,
but found no response in me.
I gave myself up for lost
in the depth of a glad humiliation---in the shadow of a dim delight.
The repose of the sun-embroidered green gloom
slowly spread over my heart.
I forgot for what I had traveled,
and I surrendered my mind without struggle
to the maze of shadows and songs.
At last, when I woke from my slumber and opened my eyes,
I saw thee standing by me, flooding my sleep with thy smile.
How I had feared that the path was long and wearisome,
and the struggle to reach thee was hard!

The journey may seem long and hard, and there will be many people mocking me throughout this journey, many will not understand, many will say I have changed, some will say for worse.

At the end of it all, the journey will bear fruit when I surrender and still my mind and have no fear, no fear of a long and wearisome path.

When I surrender my mind and still my mind, have an open heart, God or the Universe will send me someone to guide me on the path that I seek.

Take care and be well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whether you are being turned inside out or right side up, know that the changing terrain is supporting the intended path of your beautiful soul. You've laid down your fear - now the healing can begin.

bal said...

i read your posting this morning and it gave me the strength to carry on with a smile upon my lips and in my heart, and it reminded me that yesterday's trifling mundane issues are dead and gone, that today is the beginning of the rest of my life and that I HAVE A CHOICE.

I choose happiness and joy. And i leave others to choose what they will. And i WILL have the strength to not allow their choices to hurt me.

A slight twist to Russell peters stand up comedy about attacking arabs..''You kill ME?? No!! You no kill me... I KILL ME!!''


bal.