About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Milestones

A milestone (from the Latin milliarium) is one of a series of numbered markers placed along a road or boundary at intervals of one mile or occasionally, parts of a mile.

They are typically located at the side of the road or in a median. They are alternatively known as mile markers, mileposts or mile posts. Mileage is the distance along the road from a fixed commencement point.

Milestones are constructed to provide reference points along the road.

This can be used to reassure travellers that the proper path is being followed, and to indicate either distance travelled or the remaining distance to a destination.

Such references are also used to by maintenance engineers and emergency services to direct them to specific points where their presence is required. This term is sometimes used to denote a location on a road even if no physical sign is present.

In Project Management, a milestone is the end of a stage that marks the completion of a work package or phase, typically marked by a high level event such as completion, endorsement or signing of a deliverable, document or a high level review meeting.

In addition to signaling the completion of a key deliverable, a milestone may also signify an important decision or the derivation of a critical piece of information, which outlines or affects the future of a project.

In this sense, a milestone not only signifies distance traveled (key stages in a project) but also indicates direction of travel since key decisions made at milestones may alter the route through the project plan.

People always talk about milestones, milestones at work, milestones in life.

Yes, there are may be many important events and occasions in one's life.

The only milestones I believe in is the beginning and the end. Birth and Death.

The events and occasions in between are just a wonderful journey.

Some people may say the day you graduate is a milestone, or the day you get married, or the day you get a job, or the day you have a child or the day you turn 40 - one milestone after another.

But is the day you graduate more important than the journey before and after graduation? Is it more important with what you do with your education? Is it more important to have a piece of paper that reads "with Honors" or to live a live with honor?

Is the day you get married a milestone? Is it more important than the marriage journey itself? More important than how a husband or a wife treats each other, with respect, humility, kindness?

Or the day you get a job? Why is that more important than what you do at work?

Or even when a child is born? Is it not more important how much time you spend with the child? Reminds me of the song Cats in the cradle and the silver spoon.

I am now 41, pass my big 40 ... honestly, I don't even truly remember how I spent it. I know I was in London for the weekend but do not know what I actually did on my 40th birthday. But I do remember other things I have done outside of my birthdays.

So why do I even say birth and death is a milestone?

Everything must have a beginning and an end.

Birth is the beginning of us, and our journey. Death the end. What happens in between, is your choices (sometimes forced upon you) and your destiny with God's grace.

I am enjoying my journey in life.

Has it been an easy journey and as such I am enjoying it? By far. I have had many trials and tribulations, many ups and downs and many a days when you would think of the end but you persevere, you get some courage, you move on.

Fear is always trying to bring us down, but perseverance and courage will always get us back up with divine help.

Set milestones if it makes you happy, but don't forget to celebrate the whole journey and not only at the milestones.

Take care and be well.

No comments: