About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

A dream .... Is it just a dream?

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
- Edgar Allan Poe

A Dream Within a Dream was written in 1849 and reflects Poe's feelings about his life at the time, dramatizing his confusion in watching the important things in his life slip away.

Realizing he cannot hold onto even one grain of sand leads to his final question that all things are a dream.

The poem references "golden sand," an image derived from the 1848 discovery of gold in California.

It has also been interpreted that the "golden sand" is an allusion to the author's loved ones, and that each is inevitably swept away by death (the pitiless wave), no matter how tight a clasp the author tries to retain them with.

Other's have interpreted it yet differently. Stating that the poem is about the true nature of the human existence. We are created from God's dream and we are dreaming ourselves. There is no matter and only the illusion of solidness. He is sad that he cannot save us and therefore, himself from this illusion and all the pain and suffering resulting from our own ignorance.

Maybe having watched a movie like Inception has made me write this blog and maybe just over-analysing things.

Some things are left un-analysed. And sometimes wisdom comes through Walt Disney cartoons.

The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it. - The Lion King

The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all. - Mulan.

Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance. Like so many things, it is not what outside, but what is inside that counts. - Alladin.

And to end it all with none other than Cinderella.
A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. In dreams you will lose your heartaches. Whatever you wish for, you keep. Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true.

Take care and be well.

No comments: