About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

णमोकार मंत्र

णमोकार मंत्र = Namokar Mantra

Namokar Mantra or Navakar Mantra is the fundamental mantra in Jainism and can be recited at any time of the day.

While reciting this mantra, the devotee bows with respect to humans who have cleared their gathi karmas (Arihantas), fully liberated souls (Siddhas), spiritual leaders (Acharyas), teachers (Upadyayas) and all the monks.

This worship the virtues of all the supreme spiritual people instead of just worshipping one particular person.

The Namokar Mantra does not mention the names of even Tirthankaras and Siddhas.

At the time of recitation, a Jain devotee remembers their virtues and tries to emulate them. In this mantra Jains bow down to these supreme spiritual personalities, and, therefore, it is also called Namaskar (show of respect) Mantra.


णमो अरिहंताणं - Namo Arihantânam - I bow to the Arihantâs (Prophets).

णमो सिद्धाणं - Namo Siddhânam - I bow to the Siddhâs (Liberated Souls).

णमो आयरियाणं - Namo Âyariyânam - I bow to the Âchâryas (Preceptors or Spiritual Leaders).

णमो उवज्झायाणं - Namo Uvajjhâyanam - I bow to the Upadhyâya (Teachers).

णमो लोए सव्व साहूणं - Namo Loe Savva Sahûnam - I bow to all the Sadhûs (Saints).

एसो पंच णमोक्कारो, सव्व पावप्प णासणो
मंगलाणं च सव्वेसिं, पडमम हवई मंगलं

Eso Panch Namokkaro, Savva Pâvappanâsano
Mangalanam Cha Savvesim, Padhamam Havai Mangalam
This fivefold bow (mantra) destroys all sins and obstacles
and of all auspicious mantras, is the first and foremost one.

In my recent meditation, I was informed to go look at the Namokar Mantra and understand it's meaning.

I find it very inspirational, motivational and spiritual.

Take care and be well.

No comments: