About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Kong Hee Fatt Choy

Wishing everyone of my friends a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.

Today, many families will be having a reunion dinner to start celebrating CNY and pretty much be a family.

The fireworks started last night but I am sure there will be much more tonight, lighting up the skies.

It is the year of the Tiger. While I am a Rooster myself, I do relate with the tiger - after all I have a Tiger tatoo.

Spring Festival is the most important of the traditional Chinese celebrations. It is sometimes called the Lunar New Year.

Around the world, regional customs and traditions vary widely.

Most families however buy presents, decorate and prepare special foods.

It is also a tradition that every family thoroughly cleans their house to sweep away any ill-fortune and to make way for incoming good luck.

Windows and doors will be decorated with red, color paper-cuts and couplets with popular themes of “happiness”, “wealth”, and “longevity”.

On the Eve of Chinese New Year, families share a feast including pig, duck, chicken and sweet delicacies and end the night with firecrackers.

Early the next morning, children will greet their parents by wishing them a healthy and happy new year, and they are given money in red paper envelopes in return.

Normally, wifey and I being truly Malaysians would also take a part in some of the traditions of CNY.

We would generally have a "reunion dinner" when we are around and we would generally eat a lot of Yee Sang, a traditional South East Asian dish made of many mixed things and tossed up together as a family to bring in good luck.

This year, as last year, seems like no Yee Sang for me.

Last year I was away in Netherlands during this period. This year, I am in Sarawak while my family is in KL.

So, just a virtual dinner, a virtual Yee Sang tossing and hugs and kisses to wifey and my boy in KL.

The house here is starting to metamorphosize but that is a story for another blog entry.

Kong Si Kong Si Kong Si Ni.

Take care and be well.

No comments: