About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Antonyms of a plan

Recently went for a project management course. Of course planning is important in managing a project.

Planning is generally important in everything we do. It is good if we could plan, unfortunately, life does not work as such. Sometimes, some days, something just hits you and you have to act on the fly, be reactive, fire fight.

To avoid this as much as possible, people plan, companies plan, they even have planning departments, big companies big planners get paid a lot of money.

A plan according to the online dictionary is
n.
1. A scheme, program, or method worked out beforehand for the accomplishment of an objective: a plan of attack.
2. A proposed or tentative project or course of action: had no plans for the evening.
3. A systematic arrangement of elements or important parts; a configuration or outline: a seating plan; the plan of a story.
4. A drawing or diagram made to scale showing the structure or arrangement of something.
5. In perspective rendering, one of several imaginary planes perpendicular to the line of vision between the viewer and the object being depicted.
6. A program or policy stipulating a service or benefit: i.e. a pension plan.


Yet day in day out, for the last few weeks, all I have been doing at work is reacting to some "urgent" work that has a deadline of today or now or before lunch.

Even my planned work gets ignored and when that happens, planned works become unplanned.

I have always wanted to be a fire fighter when I was young. I did not realise that now that I am grown up, this is the type of fire-fighting work that I would be doing.

Oh well, sometimes there is a fire and sometimes there is just smoke and many times just hot air.

Take care and be well.

No comments: