About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Obedience Training

Nope, not for me although I am sure some people may think at 40 that I still need some obedience training.

But as they say, you cannot teach old dogs new tricks. Looks like I am stuck this way in terms of obedience.

We started obedience training classes for Al E Baba.

It is not very easy.... not because Al E is difficult but more because of the corrections.

Command, Praise and Corrections.

Commands are easy enough but Al E needs to learn them. We have though basic things like sit, down and come here but not well enough.

As the master, I am the only one allowed to attend the training.

Eventually he will learn to heel or follow me closely when walking instead of running in all directions.

Praises are also easy and we do give him a lot of praises like good boy and giving him a treat.

We also managed to teach Al E to pee and poo in the cage when he was young and he is doing a good job at this.

Going back to corrections. Corrections are basically the pulling of the collar or yanking of the collar and saying ah ah, like no. And he will choke and he will cough.

Now, that is what is a bit heartbreaking. But I have to do it and he has to learn. Once he learns he will choke, he will stop pulling to avoid the choking and he will follow the commands.

Yesterday after the training, he seemed so upset and angry. But I guess that is how it is going to be for a while.

This morning, back to normal. All is forgiven and licks all over the face and following me like I am his GPS (global positioning system).

I have to do this commands on a leash at least 10 to 15 minutes daily.

This starts today. But Al E is also a little unwell, so, maybe just 5 to 10 minutes later today when it is not too bloody hot.

I wonder how our first lady managed to obedience train her roving husband, but that is a story for RPK to write rather than me.

Take care and be well.

2 comments:

Ser said...

I think you should stick to 15 minutes training unless if he is really unwell.

Unknown said...

I am sure you have heard this before but although obedience training may seem hard on Al E and even on you ... trust me, it is best for Al E and you too in the long run. Al E needs to know who is the master in this mix and that he is not the "Alpha" but you are. Once that is established, things will be so much easier for all of you. The love he has for you will not change ... Al E love for you is unconditional (agape love). Something we humans have difficulty showing at times.

Cheers!