About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What is with guys and red light districts

Pretty much every Malaysian (mainly male) I have talked to or chatted with online keeps asking me about the infamous Amsterdam Red Light district.

And some even ask me if I have gone to their coffee shops in Amsterdam and smoked some weed.

Guys and others who may want to know, the Red Light district is not that exciting, stimulating or even sexy.

The prostitutes on "display" are old, fat and not really that beautiful or sexy.

The district has quite nice architecture and it is near many other historical stuff.

Recently, there has been talk of moving the district away mainly because similar to Malaysia's red light areas all over, there has been a lot of people smuggling and women from Asia and Russia being forced into prostitution.

You see, unlike our wonderful country where prostitution exists everywhere illegally, over here, such things are frowned upon. Activities have to be legal, taxed etc.

So, if you do come to Amsterdam, go see the district, and you will know it is not what it is cut out to be. These legal prostitution exists pretty much in every European city as well as some American ones.

Now about weed, drugs are illegal in The Netherlands. They have just been tolerated for a long period of time. Lately, laws against the heavy drugs usage has been enforced but weed, marijuana, hashish or ganja - whatever you may call it - is easily available and tolerated. However, the cops are ready to question anyone behaving suspiciously.

As for me, I don't even like cigarette smell, what more the smell from weed. It is nauseating. I have seen it being sold, I have inhaled the bloody second hand smoke and felt nauseated but have not had the desire to try it on my own. I do not thing that there is anything wrong with it, it is just I have not had the strong urge or desire to try it myself.

However, I did go to the Hashish Museum, it was rather interesting.

What is interesting here is the architecture, the museums, the art, the canals, the windmills, the cheese, the scenery in general.

So, if you are coming to The Netherlands for some marijuana and the Red Light District, you will be awfully disappointed.

Take care and be well.

No comments: