About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Metrics

I come from a generation that used both the metric and the older system.

Anyone remember what it was called?

The imperial system.

Will go to the market and buy a 'kati' of vegetables, a dozen eggs, a pound of curry powder etc.

Eggs used to come in very environmentally friendly pack made of some recycled cardboard waste material which we would reuse. You could buy a dozen or a crate. For those of you who do not know how many a dozen is, one dozen is 12 pieces. One crate usually would be around 24 eggs.

For festive seasons, my dad would also buy crates of soft drinks. The crates were simple wooden crates that contained 18 to 24 glass bottles of the soft drink like Coca Cola, Kickapoo, Fanta etc.



The country and the world in general than moved to the metric systems, simpler, easier but gone were the imperial days.

For a long time, eggs now come in plastic cartons.

For a long time, I always thought I was still buying a dozen eggs. It was familiarity.



A while later, I realised a plastic carton of eggs did not contain a dozen eggs but just 10 eggs.



Metrics at work, I have been getting 2 eggs less for many many years and I feel cheated....

Take care and be well.

No comments: