About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Whale Songs et al

Did you know that whale songs were first heard in 1940's but were not recognised as songs until 1970's.

Earlier, they were just thought to be random sounds made by whales, but there was some structure and rhythm to it and therefore they are songs.

Mainly, humpback whales have a song, and humpbacks in different oceans have different songs.

The word song is used in particular to describe the pattern of regular and predictable sounds made by some species of whales (notably the humpback) in a way that is reminiscent of human singing.

Watch the following video on YouTube for a song:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo2bVbDtiX8

Now, why do I have this in mind.

Well, I took my IELTS test for my Oz migration. And the reading section had a passage on humpback whale songs. It was the most difficult part of the whole exam but I some how cannot get it off my mind.

I have seen whales in the sea in South Africa and they are amazing creatures. Now, I am eager to go hear them sing a song.

In the meantime, I will just have to hear Al E yipping away when he is put in the cage to sleep or eat. Al E just does not like his cage. Also, he loves my toes, biting them.

Need to discipline him, yet he is a baby, so need to do it in a gentle manner.

Take care and be well.

No comments: