About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Free Hugs campaign in Miri

My previous post, A Warm Fuzzy Tale is a prelude to this article.

I want to start the Free Hug campaign in Miri, Sarawak. From here, maybe take it to other cities in East Malaysia as well as Peninsula Malaysia in the future.

But I would like to start it in Miri Sarawak.

Juan Mann started the free hug campaign in Sydney, Australia. Juan Mann (pronounced One Man), One Love.

The Free Hugs Campaign is a social movement involving individuals who offer hugs to strangers in public places. The campaign was widely publicized in 2006 by a music video on YouTube by the Australian band Sick Puppies. The campaign is an example of a random act of kindness, a purportedly selfless act performed by a person for the sole reason of making others feel better. Although not claimed as such, The Free Hugs Campaign is an incarnation of the story told in A Warm Fuzzy Tale.

Initial distrust of Juan Mann's motives eventually gave way to a gradual increase of people willing to be hugged, with other huggers (male and female) helping distribute them. After some time, security guards, then police told them they must stop, as Mann had not obtained public liability insurance worth $25 million for his actions. Mann and his companions used a petition to attempt to convince authorities that his campaign should be allowed to continue without the insurance. His petition reached 10,000 signatures. He submitted it and was allowed to continue giving free hugs.


Me and wifey were the brave and privileged ones who saw this hug campaign in Verona, Italy around Christmas time in 2006. There were two men and a women giving away free hugs during the Christmas period as part of the Christmas festivities and honestly getting a hug, even though a stranger, during Christmas, was warm and fuzzy and nice.


So, I want to start a free hug campaign in Miri and I am seeking volunteers. I am willing to do it alone, but it would be nice to do it with a few people.

I am thinking of doing this sometime in August or December 2008.

Free Hugs, just that, we spread a random kind of kindness through a free hug.

I know Malaysian's a little more conservative and a little more shy, however, I think this can work. I am certain if we do it in a public area like Bintang or Boulevard during the weekend, maybe a Saturday or Sunday, we would get enough of people and a wide range of ages . . . this could work.

So, right now, I am recruiting people for a free hugs campaign in Miri - are you interested, leave me a message.

I am attaching the website from the official campaign below for further information before I continue my blog. Please visit the website for further information. http://www.freehugscampaign.org/

Take care and be well.

No comments: