About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My plan for public holidays

Each state in Malaysia has between 15 to 17 public holidays a year. It is quite a large number compared to many countries around the world but I am not complaining. Nevertheless, I had an early lunch with a colleague of mine and I come up with a suggestion on Malaysian public holidays which he too got excited and interested about.

My idea is, let's keep 15 public holidays a year. However, the only fixed public holidays should be Malaysia Day, Labour Day, New Year's Day, Kings Birthday and the state rulers birthday. So, 5 out of 15 as fixed days.

Then 10 days should be considered as public holidays but up to individuals when they want to take it. This will not be part of annual leave but put in as flexible public holidays.

If you want to take 2 days or 5 days out of the 10 for Hari Raya, so be it. If you want to take 3 or 4 days for Dewali, why not, it's entirely up to you.

I reckon that by doing this, there will be less jams on the roads during major holidays, there would be less congestion meaning less accidents meaning more lives saved.

Less congestion would also mean that the police do not have to be extra vigilant during these times as it would be just another day.

Cities will not become dead as many people may continue to work. Economy will go on.

Airports, bus terminals and trains will not be overly congested and there would be no need for additional bus services with untrained bus drivers for the rush back home.

Overall it will safe the country a lot of money but it will not kill the economy, but improve it.

With people taking their public holiday when they want will also improve overall morale and productivity.

Oh well, is it wishful thinking? My two cents worth. What do you say?


Take care and be well.

No comments: