About Me

I have done a lot of things in my life and have also worked in many different jobs to make a living and to experience life. This blog is just some of my musings, sometimes funny, sometimes inspirational, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes simple but all the time, it's just me.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I am 39 or is it 40


I have just turned 39 or 40 in Eastern calendars. The thing about the age and calendars is interesting.

In Western calendars, when you are born, you are on year 0, which doesn't really make sense. Someone may ask, "How old is your baby?" What would you answer if the baby was just a few months old; you don't say the baby is 0 years old do you.

In Eastern calendars, the baby is in the 1st year of his or her life, and therefore, on the 1st birthday, the baby has completed the 1st year of life and is then on the 2nd year of their life.

As such, I have completed 39 years of my life and am now well into the 40th year of my life. My birthday was some 2 weeks back.

What is a birthday? What did I do on my birthday?

In my 40 years of my life, this year, for the first time in my life, I actually had a birthday party. Oh well, I did not inform people it was my birthday party though some people did know or find out. You see, I've never had a party before for my birthday, and therefore, apart from some close loved ones, I have never really got many presents for my birthday. As such, I did not feel comfortable for people to feel obliged to bring me stuff.

Nevertheless, their presence was a present. The party was a surprising success and for the first time in my life, I actually felt really great on my birthday to spend it with people.

In the past few years, my birthdays have been great affairs with my wife, and sometimes with family. But this year, it was with more than 40 people, some good friends, some friends, some colleagues, some even people I met for the first time. And surprisingly, even the people I did not know enjoyed themselves and warmed up to the party.

Oh, well, for those few who do bother to check out my blog, I had a great time and I would like to thank everyone for making it memorable.

(Unrelated note: I have been trying to bloody load a picture of me taken on my actual birthday but dang it just would not load, oh well, check it out in Facebook under Nilesh Timbadia or www.flickr.com/photos/niltimbadia)

Take care and be well.






No comments: